Friday, April 17, 2009

Korean Field Trip!



Last Tuesday, my school had a "school picnic day". This basically required the students to get themselves to a local mountain (Go Rock--I'm sure thats not the real name or spelling of the mountain name, but that is what I say and I'm understood by Koreans), hiking the mountain, then eating lunch.
I have to admit, I really, really LOVE school field trips.
Gone are the headaches.
Gone is the worrying that I would loose a child.
Gone is any planning on my end.
I just had to show up at 10:00 (yes I got to sleep way in!), hike the mountain, and eat lunch. Just like the kids. Except I got to have beer and soju at the end of the hike, and hopefully they don't.
I hiked with mainly the girls. And let me tell you, Korean middle school girls, for the most part, are a bunch of wimps. They made it about 5 minutes into the hike before they started whining and passing out from exertion. Really. I'm not lying. These girls couldn't handle it. It was kind of funny.
They even wrote dialogues about it in English class this week. For example they said:
Student A: "What did you do on Tuesday?
Student B: "I went hiking."
Student A: "Was it fun."
Student B: "No it wasn't. It was very not fun. Hiking bad."
Give 'em a computer and they can go all day. Ask them to walk up hill a little ways, and they riot. I guess they are not that different from any other teenager in the world right?

No comments: