Thursday, April 30, 2009

Going to the Doctor

So you know, back home when your sick, and your my age, you usually don't go to the doctor. Time, money, and well money are usually the reasons why we (okay I) don't go.

So this week I developed a sore throat, a cough, and yesterday a slight ear ache. Normally (back home) I probably wouldn't go to the doctor for another week or so, if I didn't get better that is.

But this is why I kind of like Korea. Socialized medicine. I like it at least for minor stuff (I've heard some horror stories about more serious conditions). But anyways, I sucked it up and went to the doctor today. I've been feeling overall better, and debating with myself if I should really go. I decided to go anyways, because at least he can tell me that I don't have Swine Flu, I mean H1V1293 or whatever its name is.

I walk in, hand over my cards, and get told to sit down (rather pointed in the general direction of the chairs). I wait no less that 10 minutes (in which the doctor sees the 5 people ahead of me). I get in to the office. Tell him I have a cough, sore throat and an ear ache. He puts on one of those old school mirror doctor hats, looks into my mouth, nose, and ear. Pronounces that I have a slight ear infection and points in the general direction of the door. This takes about 5 minutes, tops.

I pay my bill (4,000 won--a little less than $4) and go to the pharmacy to pick up my meds. I pay another 4,000 won for three days worth of some strong shizit. Hopefully I will be healthy in a few days time.

I left thinking to myself, "What took me so long to go?" The doctors here are no less scary, slightly even funnier (esp. if they wear the hats), and are usually much more fast. Plus I paid less than $8 total for something that would have at least cost me close to $50 back home.

I think in this case, it is much better to have a bit more power put into the government/heck even doctors rather than the insurance companies. Perhaps that might help solve some things...

No comments: