Friday, February 13, 2009

School's Over...for some that is

Ed and I had our last week of classes for this semester this week. It is now followed by our 'Spring Vacation'. Yup, we did just have our 'Winter Vacation' last week. But that was winter break. Now it is spring.

This week of teaching was pretty pointless. I showed Transformers about 15 times. Ed tried to teach, but was met with extreme protests and swearing. So he gave up too and showed movies all week. I give him credit though, he tried. I asked my co-teacher if I should teach, she just said show movies. So that is what I did.

Yesterday was Ed's students' graduation. Not knowing what the Korean graduation was like, he asked his co-teacher if it was a formal event. She rolled her eyes at him like "Are you seriously asking me this". So he dressed up in a suit and tie, because he now knew it was a formal event.

Well in true Korean style, he and about 5 other teachers dressed up. The rest were in jeans. So like any other event, it might be formal, but if you want to wear jeans and a t-shirt that's okay too. I said to Ed that it was good he dressed up because then it shows that he cares.

Anyways, apparently Korean graduations are just as boring as American ones. A bunch of speeches, kids talking through out the entire thing, cell phones going off. The one thing Ed said that was pretty impressive was the five minute chant of "Yes We Can!" after his principal said something about Obama, then followed by the above phrase. I guess Koreans believe that Obama can change something for them too, and are pretty excited about it. So if there is any doubt at all, y'all can just come over to Buyeong Yogo where the positive thinking about another countries president is abundant!

I didn't go to my graduation. I was told I could stay in my English lab because graduation was going to be on TV. I no longer have a working TV in my lab, but I stayed in the lab just the same.

Overall Korean graduation doesn't seem like it is as big of a deal as it is back home. Then again, I wasn't invited to any grad parties, so I'm not that sure.

For our spring break, we have no plans as of yet. Our friends Nikki and Kerry are coming for a visit tomorrow. I'm hoping to actually leave the apartment this break, so we shall see if that happens. So until later!

No comments: