Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Eva Longoria, I Feel Your Pain...



Remember when I first got here and both Ed and I loved the celebrity treatment. Well you can kind of down grade it to like now. Now when little boys come running up to me pointing and shouting "Waygook!!!"; I point back and say "Hungul Saram!!" or Korean person (of course this is only when their parents aren't looking).

I still get a giggle out of the kids that come running up to us and say (or screech) "HI!! HELLO!!", then run away giggling hysterically. They must think that they are playing a wicked funny trick on us: "He he Young-Bin. I just said hello, in English, to that foreigner over there and then ran away. They will never know it was me. It was the best joke ever!! He he he." Sometimes I want to say, 'I know it was you who shouted hello at me because you running away and laughing. You can't really hide, and I am smart enough to figure it out'....Oh well. This is the easy part. Sometimes it is the adults that I have trouble with.

For instance, Ed's new co-teacher (his old one is away for a month) has been making comments about his weight left and right. (By the way--he has lost several pounds--so it really shouldn't be an issue anymore). My favorite comment thus far that she has made is: "Oh. I know why you like goalie. You don't have to run." I'm surprised that Ed kept his composure after that one. I don't think I would have been able to. I've met her, and let me just tell you, she is no piece of work (snaggle tooth!).

Oh and its not just Ed who is getting it. I am too. Today I was asked if I was pregnant (I'm SOO NOT). I screeched 'NO!'. Turned red and left. You see, for some reason it is okay for them to point out that we are fat or ugly or look pregnant. However, the minute you say something about them, evil stank eye will come and haunt you. No more niceness; no more free fruit. You are dead to them.

So I say to Eva Longoria (who recently was called pregnant all over the news because she gained some weight-what like 4 pounds?) I feel your pain. Any one of normal size would look preggers next to a waif (hence Victora Beckham).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See...beauty to them is, as I'm sure you have seen, very pale skin and being very thin...they definitely have different ideas of what "beautiful" is... but their idea is ugly and stupid. Next time someone says something to you, just say something back like "Wow, your name is really pretty...did you parents throw pots and pans down the stairs to come up with that?" or "Your snaggle tooth is f'n gross." you're creative, so whatever works...