Monday, October 6, 2008

Ask and you shall recieve..


Well friends, you are in luck. I have two whole days of "teaching" that will consist of me sitting in front of the computer with no students. It is our mid term exams and being the resident "Native English Speaker", I have no real duties or jobs to perform except being present and accounted for. Do not ask me why I even have to come to school, but I do. What this means for you is hopefully a few posts.

To start, I'll tell you about this weekend.

Ed and I joined our friends Nikki and Kerry at Jirisan National Park. Nik and Kerry have actually been to Korea before, so they still have friends here. One of them, John, is a super organizer who planned this trip up to Jirisan. The plan was to hike to the top of Jirisan on Saturday, come back down, and just kind of chill out and eat BBQ. Ed and I were in.

For those of you who don't know, Jirisan is one of Korea's most favorite national parks. The park sits on the corner of three provinces, which that in itself makes it a pretty big deal. But Jirisan also hosts one of Korea's tallest mountains, Jirisan. You can also find one of the highest, if not the highest temple in Korea (elevation wise that is). Here is a picture of the mountain.



So we made it to the yellow circle. You can see how much higher the mountain actually is. Here we are, a bunch of foreigners, thinking that we can actually make it to the top of a mountain (over 900 meters/3,000 ft), especially if we start at 12:00 in the afternoon. Oh yeah, and make it down again.

Nope we were wrong, but at least we did make it 3,000 feet and saw some pretty decent sites. So at the 3,000 foot mark (or yellow circle), there is this really amazing mountain temple. It was quite beautiful, especially seeing that there was a lone red tree among the temple structures and the green forest. It made it most picturesque. Here are some links that have some more pictures of the mountain temple and Jirisan. One of them is in Korean, and no, I can not help you figure out what it is saying. Something about the great beauty that is Korea would be my guess. At any rate, you could just click around on the page and see some pictures that were actually taken by a professional!



As always, more pictures to the right of the page.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you take that picture of that red tree (is that a true Japanese Maple? If you did take it, it's a beautiful picture- I just made it the background on my computer. Take more nature pictures if you can!!

Anonymous said...

ohhh also, you and Ed should some cool South Korean tattoo while you guys are over there...ya know, sans the Hepatitis...but definitely something cool...

Ed and Jen said...

Yes, all those pictures were taken by either Eddie or me.

I'm not sure if the tattoo thing will happen over here. Korea isn't really known for its tattooing. Maybe if I go to Japan or something.