Saturday, March 21, 2009

Moths to a Flame


Yesterday, I went for a peaceful hike on the mountain behind my house. I was taking pictures, having a good time, when all of the sudden I hear a lot of people talking. Okay I think, it's a hiking club.
Wrong.
300 elementary students all stuck up at the top of the mountain. Bad place to be for a white girl. I was immediately swarmed, it was like moths to a flame. I panicked, and ran across the top of the mountain, just to get away. I ended up on a path that I'd never been on. I got a little lost after that. I just thought you'd like to know that I survived though.





In the process of surviving, I ended up finding an exercise place (Koreans have random gyms set up on mountains; just in case you don't feel like you are getting enough of a workout climbing). I didn't get any pictures because I was still reeling from being swarmed and there were a lot of people there. I thought it would seem weird if I started taking pictures of them working out. But in hindsight, I should have done it.


I also came across a teeny tea field. I'm pretty sure that it had 'gates' (okay logs lying across the paths) and there were signs that said 'Blee blah blo TV Circut blee blee blah imnida". I'm guess it was a warning that they have TV's up there and are watching you and maybe don't really want you walking in their fields. But seeing that I don't read Korean I couldn't be sure. So I walked around for a bit. Took a few more pictures, then found a path out of there.

I eventually made it home, in one piece.


My new house...or the one that I can afford at least!




On a side note: I went back to Pumpkin night club and saw the "dancer" again. This time no stage rushing from Koreans. Just a bunch of white girls standing in the middle of the dance floor going "Oh my God." I might or might not have been jumping up and down yelling "YES! He's doing it again." Not that I was happy to see 'it'. I was just happy to be experiencing the whole process and living Korean randomness to its fullest. Yes I thought you should know.

No comments: