Saturday, November 1, 2008

10 Reasons Why I Love UNESCO Weekends

Last weekend Ed and I participated in a UNESCO weekend. UNESCO stands for United Nations Educational Scientific Cultural Organization. Here are 10 reasons why I had a great time:

10. The welcome committee. When we pulled up to the camp, they all had signs with our names on them and sayings like "I love you! Edward Look Here!" It was wonderful.

9.The view. We were in Dam Yang which is like the bamboo capital of Korea. It was actually pretty unbelievable. This is sunrise--yes the kids had morning exercise. We could sleep in.

8. New Friends. There were Chinese, Nepalese, Gambian (?), and Tanzanian. Not only did they make great food...but the Nepalese also can play a mean game of flip cup!! I want to go to Nepal.

7. International food festival. Yes, we had to make 'foreign food'. We joined the Quebec team and made donuts. The kids were covered in flour and sugar. The other food was WONDERFUL. The American team made fajitas..I stole three (I was only supposed to have one...shhhh don't tell.)

6.This new game is called something in Korean. I forgot its real name. I call it kick volleyball. The rules are the same as volley ball, except you kick it over a small net. It is amazing. And easily addicting.

5. Super Korean Children. They put on an Tae Kwon Do demonstration for us. Yes they propped the kids up on shoulders to do crazy kick moves. They also did some pretty fancy double dutch moves. It was almost the highlight of the weekend.


4.Old friends. Here is our friends Ellen (blonde) and Nikki (brunette). Ed and I actually hang out with Nikki and her husband Kerry quite often. Ellen we only see once and a while...they are very cool.

3. Burning our Friendship. In a grand display of fireworks (yes we were only like 10 yards aways, the Korean camp set fire to our friendship. I guess it was supposed to be a symbolic 'nice' thing. Most of us took it as a 'What the hell? They're burning our friendship...do we mean that little to them??' type thing. It was also pretty funny and amazing.

2.SANG WON. This was one of Ed's 'kids' for the weekend. He was amazing. And still is. He bought us snacks for the ride home. We bought him a key-chain whistle. He emails and texts us everyday. We try to email him back. But when we ask "What are you doing this weekend?" and he responds with "I plan on studying until 10:00pm on Saturday." what else do you really have to say??

1.This 'carpentry' shirt. I love Korean shirts...and trust me, I am trying to find them for you all back home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So (1) I consulted with the local Asian, Ms Grace Hsu, and she has never heard of the burning friendship thing. So, um, you might want to stay away from whoever built that/set it on fire, because somethings not right. (2) I have to have one of those carpentry shirts and (3) Please tell me you tried to join the group doing the double dutch moves?!? I remember your inability to do that here so I was wondering if things were different in Korea...and why are you guys so famous there? I want to be famous- I mean I am, but I want other people to realize that I'm famous, not just me...

Ed and Jen said...

1.Burning friendship is only done here in Korea maybe...not in China. It makes sense in Korean logic--I hope.
2. I want a carpentry shirt too...although I don't think I could get away with wearing that-because I know what it means
3.They wouldn't let me join the double dutch...but I tried.
4. You can only be really famous in Korea. So you must come if you want that type of notority. I am famous because I am very 'beautiful, hot, sexy, and have a high nose'.