Friday, July 2, 2010

List of Love

Here's to the start of my list(s). There is no particular order or number. I am just writing things down as they come to me.

  1. Love from Strangers: Strangers love us. They love to tell us we are beautiful. They love to smile at me, hold my hand, touch my hair. If I'm ever angry, I don't stay that way for too long because I get stranger love. I mean, what gets you out a bad mood faster than being told your beautiful or given a free apple? Nothing. It happens daily. Old people, young people, people in the middle all love to see us. They love to say "You are beautiful." It doesn't get old. EVER. I makes me happy.


  2. Love for Foreigners: This is much different from Stranger Love, but the effect is the same. Ed and I have found that the people here are extremely generous and helpful, only because we are foreigners. Giving a good impression is important here, and trust me, the Korean people have won us over! Service-uh (the giving of free stuff) is greatly appreciated in this household.


  3. Love of Soju: This kind of love is a special love. Its the kind of love you know is not good for you, but every once in a while, you love to get your Soju love on. You see, Soju is a dangerous, dangerous drink. It creeps up on you. It makes you dance in the streets. It makes you sing ridiculous songs in a norae bong. It can even make you pass out randomly in the streets (Thanks to Blackout Korea for some proof of what I'm talking about). But you can have the best time when Soju is around. It is liquid courage for many people here. Its the cultural barrier breaker. Its ability to enable all of us to interact (like fools most of the time) is notorious and wonderful. Its Soju Love.


  4. Love of Ice Cream: Koreans love ice-cream. Thank God! Because that means I get to eat it all the time, any where, and in any season. It could be 40 below and there will be a group of small children licking down some delicious ice cream cone. I love ice cream. Koreans love ice cream. It is a match made in heaven.


  5. Love of Pork: The sheer amount of pork that consumed in this country is amazing. But seriously, how awesome is pork? It makes any day better. And by God, a belly full of sam gyup sal (bbq pork) is pretty amazing. I will greatly miss the meat bellies and meat comas induced by consuming large amounts of pork and only pork.

No comments: