Thursday, July 16, 2009

School's Out for Summa!

Yup, we are on summer vacation, technically. While summer vacation here in Korea lasts approximately 5 weeks, we will only be enjoying 3 of those weeks as vacation. For the next two weeks, Ed and I will be entertaining 60 odd middle school Korean students who would most likely rather be playing Warcraft or something than trying to learn English. Alas, we are in charge of "Fun, Fun Summer Camp" designed by yours truly. I've created about 20 activities where these summer campers will be forced to speak and particpate in English learning.

It is my current plan to scrap most of the lessons with the hopes that the Korean teachers will okay a massive dodge ball tournament. Haven't really approcached them about it yet, but here's hoping they approve it. I've even got the objectives mapped out.

1. Students will be able to understand and accept what it is like to lose to a supreme dodge ball power (me). (Globalization)
2. Students will participate in and learn about the all important American language "talking smack". (English Language Arts)
3. Students will be able to apply their first aid abilities (for when they get hit in the head with the dodge ball). (Science and Health)
And my most favorite student objective when playing games:
4. Students will learn the value of cooperative learning in a social environment while using English to express themselves. (Character Building)

BAM! There's my plan. Now lets see if they buy into it...

In other news, it's rained here every day for the past two weeks. We saw the sun for half a day last week, but no one went out into it because if you did you would sweat out all your vital liquids in about 20 minutes. So Ed and I have been trying to stay dry and cool, a task that I have failed every day thus far. However on a positive note, my students are no longer asking why I sweat so much (or why my armpits and sides of my body are wet). So progress is being made there.

We are being recruited almost daily to go to church here. When a Korean stops us and asks about church we usually just say "Ummm we already have one. It's in my living room and transmits Tyra to me on a daily basis." All jokes aside. Why would I want to go to a KOREAN church? Even if I was practicing, well I wouldn't be able to understand what the hell the preacher was saying would I? Because it is in KOREAN!! Ahhh well I appreaciate their tenacity.

And finally, our fruit guy (and current church recruiter) speaks a little English. Well yesterday he saw my tattoo on my foot. He really couldn't comprehend that it was a tattoo (or refused to) and thought it was a scar instead. He told me to go to the doctor's because they can try to fix the scarring on my foot. I said well thanks but I like this scar. He didn't quite get it.

So thats about all for now. This weekend we are heading back to Sado with a few friends. Most of our friends are taking off in about a month or so...so once again we are going to be pretty busy!

3 comments:

Joe said...

post more pictures of the tattoo now that it has healed!

tyler said...

where can i sign up for this massive dodgeball tournament? if it happens. haha anyways 5 weeks of vacation doesnt sound like much but still its better than nothing, and the fruit guy...well maybe he should see a doctor if he cant undrestand what a tattoo is, they do have them there right?

Mom said...

Oh my you are soooo funny. I have to say that your writing ability has grown. You have great voice.
Okay did I mention that as of 3:00 today I finished a 4 day unit of study for Writer's Workshop course.
I've been brain washed. Anyway Dad and I love your blog. Keep it going. Also,I can appreciate the summer curriculum. Everyone needs to know how to talk smack or if it's being spooken to them. It's a learning experience. Keep up the great work and have lots of fun on your vacation. Remember we miss you and love you. MOm