Sunday, July 26, 2009

Bittersweet Days

As July comes to a close, enters in August. Officially, Ed and I have been in Korea a little over 11 months. It has been a crazy 11 months, that surprisingly has gone by very fast for us. A little over a year ago, I couldn't imagine being able to survive in another country, never mind live and love it.

Part of the reason why we have both found it surprisingly easy to live here is because of the people who we've gotten to know. Now enters the sad part. No one really stays in Korea forever. They all leave. Some after a year, some after 3, and while some are on the extended program and may never leave, this place really can never be home.

August is the one of the change over months for people to leave and people to come. I have to admit, I am a bit sad because some great and wonderful friends are moving on for new adventures around the world. While I am excited for them and the possibilities of new adventures they may have, it is a bit heart breaking because so many of our friends are leaving.

So this is my tribute post to them. While I'm not going to dwell in the sadness of friendships becoming distant, I am going to celebrate the great times we have had together in this Land of the Morning Calm, and I am going to wish them the safest possible travels, where ever they may go. I've learned that over my own personal travels, that people make the place. So long as you have a good friend (or two) to share a bottle of wine (or soju), eat some pork, and play a game with then life is good. Ed and I consider ourselves very lucky for the opportunity to have met several such people here. So good luck and safe travels my friends!

1 comment:

mom said...

Very Nice Jen
Love ya Mom