Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Look! Look! A rockstar!!




Oh wait. It is just the two wayguks (Ed and I) walking up the street. Fortunately (for now at least) we have celebrity status, especially among 5-10 year old boys. You see, this whole pointing and shouting at foreigners was something that we read about before we came to S.Korea. Amazingly enough it is true. People stop dead in their tracks and stare. Some with open mouths. And if that person happens to be a young boy, then he jumps up and down, points, and shouts at the top of his lungs "Wayguk! Wayguk!", then runs to tell his friends/mother/brothers (now who are also shouting and pointing) that he has seen someone who is different. I had a student ask me yesterday what an outsider was (it was really the title of her book, so she had good reason to ask and was not being rude). The best way I could describe it was by pointing at myself. Ahh its is still pretty cool to have such high ranking status, though.
I can see why so many celebrities complain. This whole wow status is very cool and somewhat funny at first; but after a while both Ed and I think it might get old. Although I don't think it will ever get old when random people tell me I'm pretty or "ahhhh" at Ed (I get the biggest response when I show Ed's picture in the boy's classes---"Ahhhh so handsome. You very lucky". Yes. Yes I am.)
Anyways, the first few days of work have been going well for the both of us. Ed is receiving a lot of positive feed back, especially about his use of Korean and his sexiness (he was introduced to the Principal as sexy). He told me yesterday that a student came up to him and said:
"You pooh"
Ed thought it must have been a nice Korean term of endearment (it is sometimes hard to understand [p] starting words from the students. But he asked the girl to repeat herself.
Apparently she said "You know yellow bear." Again Ed pauses.
Yes my friends, she was comparing him to Winnie the Pooh. He says because he is cute (which he is), but I will just leave it at that!
I just receive comments on my use of chopsticks; which I use quite well when I'm eating lunch and enjoying some mystery dish and suddenly see an octopus leg in the mix. Enjoyment over. Chopsticks down. Stomach flip. Ahhh school lunch.
Speaking of school here are a few pictures of my classroom





And here are some views from my classroom!
The mountain behind our apartments (there is a rice terrace to the right of the picture--just carved right into the mountain side!)
You can actually see our apartment buildings (the big ones in the background)
This is what we had for dinner yesterday. Potato wedge pizza. It actually is not bad.



So that's about all for now. Until later rock on!







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you guys are considered rock stars! I'm definitely coming for a visit...I would like to be a rock star for a day... Are there paparazzi there? you should go around shouting "Please...no pictures..NO PICTURES!!"

and yes, I am going to leave a comment on each and every posting...

Dad said...

Can I get some autograph's? Looks and sounds like you are both adapting very well. I think you will grow to like octopus deight legs and all.

Anonymous said...

If I had a million dollars I'd fly over there and follow you around with all my cameras- just to make it even better!
And we always knew Ed was a big teddy bear....we just never had an official name for him :0)
I disagree with your dad..I don't think you'll ever really, truly enjoy octopus- but I do LOVE calamari!