Saturday, August 23, 2008

First Week




Hey Everyone,

I have gotten several emails from people saying that you all are checking this blogsite to see what is going on. Please bear with me as I attempt to use this feature. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to load a photo gallery so that it can link you to all the photos, so that it is not all on here (if you know what I'm talking about and know how to do this please email me).

Anyways, the first week in Korea has been great. I know, honeymoon stage and all. We were pretty much in a bubble all week with our orientation group, so now is the real challenge. The JLP program (Jeollanamdo Language Program-the people who hired us) took us on some field trips; one to Nagan Folk Village, and to Songgwang Sa Temple. Both of these places were very interesting and were a neat break from classes and meetings. I was able to meet my co-teacher "Krista" at Nagan Folk Village. Already I can tell she is a very nice lady and I can only hope our work relationship goes well.

Ed and I arrived in Yeosu (specifically Yeocheon) last night. Today we walked around the city, which is not small-sorry Yeosu-ites. We thought it would be fun to get down to the water to see the Dolson Bridge. Well after about two hours walking towards the water we finally see it--except it is still about 10 miles away! So we attempted to catch a bus; which we did eventually and rode it down to the Yeosu market (it seems like we know where we were going, but in reality we had no idea. We just got off and got lucky). We walked around the market and saw our first whole squid (huge), pigs heads (no biggie-I saw those in FL), and other animal parts (I don't know what they were). There was a lot of live and drying fish available, some of which didn't look too bad except Ed and I would have no idea really what it was and how to cook it properly. Anyways after a little bit we took a 30 minute taxi (which cost 6 bucks) back to our apartment just to chill for the afternoon. There is a ton to see here so I'm sure there will be plenty more adventures to write about. So until next time, both Ed and I are healthy, finding some good, edible food, and are looking forward to school on Monday. Annyeong Higaseyo!

No comments: