Monday, June 29, 2009

We've Got Spots!

When in Asia, you should try some Eastern Medicine right? Well, Ed and I finally tried some "Korean Cups". Our friend Sang Jun (and his mother) are avid believers in the power of the Suction Massage. Apparently, you place the glass cups on your back, add a bit of vacuum power (in the form of a suction device) and the cups will suck out the bad toxins in your body. The more red/purple the spots are, the worse the area is. The lighter the spots are, the less toxins you have.

After doing some research, it was clear that we received the traditional Chinese/Korean cup therapy versus the type of massage that the Western spas advertise. Our friend Meghan (and Sang Jun's girlfriend) has received several sessions of cupping and swears she feels a difference in her circulation. Here's what one spa (okay website) says about Cupping Therapy:

"Watch closely to determine the circulatory reaction and adjust the suction as needed. It is a good idea to start with a medium to light pressure and increase slowly. Marks may occur with very strong cupping - and while this may be considered beneficial in TCM [Chinese Suction Massage], this is usually not the way to send a client home from her massage. Be sure to acquire proper training and then practice on family, friends and co-workers before working on clients."


To be honest, at the moment all I feel is a bunch of bruising on my back! Although at the time it did feel pretty good. I am waiting for the benefits to kick in. I think that I will do it again...maybe. I do have to say, if anything the spots are kind of neat!

My toxic area, according to Sang Jun is my spine and right side.

Ed's toxic area is all over (lol)...except he is not as sore as I am; so I don't know what that means.

And here is just a pretty shot of Yeosu's Harbor as a rain storm comes in. It was a great hike!



2 comments:

Joe said...

I heard you were the first person kicked off of your "Survivor: Sado" game- maybe if you had those spots at that time, you would have done a better job... next time!

DAD said...

YOu guys look like lepoards. How long are the spots going to last? Nice pics of Mom as well and congrats to "Pint"